From time to time, I go through phases where I seem to be all up in my head. There have been many times where overthinking keeps me from taking action on things that I know I will enjoy doing or even things I know I need to do. This even happens when it comes to things I know I can take care of with my eyes closed! But acknowledging this flaw helps me to overcome it by always looking for ways to get out of my head. I thought I’d share some of the things I do to get out of my head, in case anyone may be struggling with overthinking, and therefore not taking actions!
- Write down your thoughts
- Make a list of what you need to do to accomplish the task at hand
- Promise yourself a specific reward for taking action
- Start with one small step
- Keep things as simple as possible
- Talk things over with someone you trust
- Ask for help if you need it
- Remind yourself why you made this task a priority in the first place
- Imagine how it will feel when you’ve taken action
- Just do it!
My favorite one is #10: Just do it! Not to copy from the well-known athletic wear company that carries the slogan, but it’s just short, simple and to the point! Sometimes, you really need to just stop hesitating, throw caution to the wind a little, and just do it! Whatever “it” is! Done is usually better than perfect. And perfect is nearly impossible. So might as well just do it!
Your turn, as I’m always looking for tips! What are some things you do or ways you get out of your head and out of your own way?
Leave a Reply